Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2013

I'm pretty sadistic...

So I think I might be pretty sadistic. If you see me on the side of the road or in the lobby of a hotel, I’m pretty damn normal. But if you see my Grand Theft Auto character on the side of the road or in the lobby of a hotel, he is most likely stabbing a bystander in the face with a knife. I don’t know why I feel the urge to do such horrible things to innocent citizens just trying to carry on with their daily lives, but I do. Shooting a rocket into a line at a fast food restaurant, coasting down a hill on a bike and seeing how many drivers I can shoot before I stop, or landing a helicopter with blades spinning at full speed on a family picnic in the park all sound like enjoyable and perfectly normal pastimes to me when playing the game.

The worst I ever felt while playing GTA was when I had to shoot a pet bulldog that was chasing after me. I had just blew up his owner’s car (and therefore his owner as well) and he started sprinting towards me with the cutest vengeful rage his short little legs could handle.  I tried to run away, I really did, I wanted to leave him behind in his sadness and not make his situation any worse. But then he jumped me. He bit my arm and pulled me to the ground with his bodyweight. So, as soon as my character got up and would respond to the controls again, I shot him the face. He whimpered as he became motionless and I teared up as I became moralless.


And I try to make myself feel better by justifying my actions based of the things I didn’t do. I didn’t kill that gas station cashier, I only robbed him. I didn’t ignore that woman who was crying for help because of a purse thief. I killed the thief and kept the purse, but I didn’t ignore her.  And that construction worker I just plowed over in order to make that sick jump? Hey, I honked, he had a warning.

No comments:

Post a Comment